Wednesday, October 26, 2011

To teethe or not to teethe...

That is the question. The million dollar one actually.

Looking at my sweet baby boy I now see a face full of drool, swollen gums, and a fussier than normal baby. He's only 2.5 months old and so many people tell me that he couldn't possibly be teething yet. I beg to differ. Reading up on teething provide so many different perspectives. Some claim a list of "symptoms" while others claim there really are no distinct "symptoms." Either way, if I've learned anything thus far in parenting, it's that I should trust my gut. Mama knows best. And this mama says my boy is teething.

Now when it comes to teething this early I find that I am a lack for pain relief methods. We don't want to give R any over-the-counter remedies and so there isn't much I can do for the little fella. We have Hyland's homeopathic gel for his gums, but the instructions say that it shouldn't be used until 4 months of age. We also have Sophie the teether, but again we aren't supposed to bust her out until 3 months of age due to the possibility of a latex allergy in babies.

So what's a mama to do? For now lots and lots of cuddling and comforting. And you know what? That's just fine with me. My baby will only be little for so long and I want to cherish every moment of his babyhood just as I plan to cherish every moment of his childhood and adulthood. We're only given so long on this earth and I plan to make sure that R knows his mama loves him and is never too busy to spend quality time with him. He is my #1. The laundry, dishes, and cleaning can wait. Oh darn...;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment